Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Joy Luck Club

When I first heard of the title: The Joy Luck Club, I thought the story would be about some teenagers’ club. The title also reminded me of four-leaf clovers because of the word “luck”. That was why I was surprised to find that The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan had more of a Chinese background. It had been out of my expectation that the book would be about Chinese immigrants in America. The “luck” had been about the chances of winning over the game of mah jong.
However, it did make sense that the book would contain the Chinese cultural background if thinking back to the “Writer’s On Writing” article, in which I had coincidentally chose Amy Tan’s “Family Ghosts Hoard Secrets That Bewitch the Living.” Even in her article, she mentioned about the mysteries of her family, specifically her mother and her half-siblings that she did not know about. Her life was a story of its own with details and complex puzzles behind it. Therefore if I connect her story and her life together, I would find that she leaked many of her life aspects into the book she wrote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home