Sunday, May 07, 2006

Quote

After reading about halfway through The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, I came back to the previous chapters where I had found a quote that I specifically liked:

"That is the way it is with a wound. The wound begins to close in on itself, to protect what is hurting so much. And once it is closed, you no longer see what is underneath, what started the pain" (P.40)

This quote intrigued me especially because of the way it spoke about wounds and pains. I feel that I could understand the mothers’ situations clearer with this quote. They’ve all been through tough experiences during their life in China. I thought they were strong. They faced hardships and endured through them. However, at the same time, they forget some aspects of their experiences. They remembered their pain, but started to forget the exact cause.

The mothers are very determine and only wanted the best for their daughters. Like the mother in the first parable, they all wanted to pass their experiences to their children. However, they sometimes failed to see some points in their daughters’ lives that were similar to their own. On the other hand, they remembered their feelings as they made it through their hardships and were able to grasp the flaws in their daughters’ lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home